Andre Blatche Shot

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Andre Blatche Shot

Postby raiser » September 26, 2005, 8:26 am

Andray Blatche, a 19-year-old Syracuse native who was selected by the Washington Wizards in the second round of the NBA Draft in June, was shot in an apparent robbery near his home in Alexandria, Va., Sunday morning.

Blatche was shot once in the chest as two assailants approached a car in which he was a passenger around 6:30 a.m., according to an Alexandria, Va., police report. After the shooting, the driver of the car, who was not named in the report, drove to Blatche's home in the Washington, D.C., suburb and called police. Ambulance personnel responded and Blatche was taken via helicopter to Inova Fairfax Hospital in Fairfax, Va.

Blatche was listed in serious but stable condition, according to a police spokesman. Blatche's mother, Angela Oliver, of Syracuse, received a telephone call from the Alexandria police early Sunday morning.

"It's the phone call no mother ever wants to get," she said. She and several family members rushed from Syracuse to the hospital.

"He's doing OK," Oliver said late Sunday night from the hospital. "He's breathing on his own. The bullet didn't hit any vital organs. He's been sedated, but he's been talking to me when he's come out of it."

According to the police report, Blatche was in a car with two friends when they noticed a van following them. When they pulled over, two men wearing masks stepped out of the van. One man ordered Blatche out of the car and then shot him before Blatche could get out.

Oliver said the bullet passed through Blatche's body, missing his heart by an inch.

"They almost took his dream away," she said. "And for what?"

Police in Alexandria said no arrests have been made in the shooting.

Blatche, a 6-foot-11 forward, signed a two-year contract with the Wizards just last month. He was living in Alexandria and preparing for the start of the team's preseason training camp on Oct. 4. The Wizards' first preseason game is on Oct. 10 and the regular-season opener is on Nov. 5.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststanda ... 180360.xml
raiser

Postby Isa Soulstar » September 26, 2005, 9:09 am

Damn...they almost took his dream away. And for what?
oOoO...Friends don't let friends....VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
Isa Soulstar
Writer

Postby clutchshooter43 » September 26, 2005, 10:13 am

I was shocked when I saw this on hoopshype. I hope he'll be alright.
"I think the slogan All Ball was just a reminder that there would be no hockey in the Garden this year" - Mitch Lawrence
clutchshooter43

Postby fredweis » September 26, 2005, 10:44 am

that's horrible news. but it sounds like he should be okay, thankfully.
Welcome to the SUCK!

“In the style we’re playing, if you’re not in all the way, you’re not going to look good until you get in all the way. You can’t run halfway.” - Mike D'Antoni, Nov 16 2009
fredweis

Postby shakespeare » September 26, 2005, 12:24 pm

It's a cold, cold world. Some people deserve the death penalty.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby bobhait » September 26, 2005, 1:05 pm

in the words of a poet, that's some fucked up shit...

why would anybody target a 19-year old NBA rookie? :?
Jeremy Lin is NOT that dude
bobhait

Postby rebound » September 26, 2005, 2:51 pm

Stricter gun control laws is what this country needs.
GTFO Raymond Felton and Tyson Chandler!
rebound

Postby Ken The Animal Bannister » September 26, 2005, 3:54 pm

shakespeare wrote:It's a cold, cold world. Some people deserve the death penalty.

Not to hijack this thread, but who exactly deserves the death penalty? If someone molested one of my kids, I'd want to kill them but I wouldn't give the state the power to kill them. So who DESERVES the death penalty. If you're going to call yourself Shakespeare, go read Measure for Measure and see what side your namesake takes on the death penality
http://www.internationalwow.com/

Fun Fact: If you type “comical failure” into Google, it asks Did you mean: Charles Smith
Ken The Animal Bannister

Postby shakespeare » September 26, 2005, 5:32 pm

Ken The Animal Bannister wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but who exactly deserves the death penalty? If someone molested one of my kids, I'd want to kill them but I wouldn't give the state the power to kill them. So who DESERVES the death penalty. If you're going to call yourself Shakespeare, go read Measure for Measure and see what side your namesake takes on the death penality

I'm familiar with it but I haven't studied it. I only took the name Shakespeare because of my love for most literary works. Not because of anything else.

I'm sure you're not an animal.

If you came home and caught someone molesting your daughter, would you pick up Measure for Measure or would you try and take the guy head off?

Me, I'd end it.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Ken The Animal Bannister » September 26, 2005, 6:16 pm

shakespeare wrote:

If you came home and caught someone molesting your daughter, would you pick up Measure for Measure or would you try and take the guy head off?

Me, I'd end it.

If I caught someone molesting one of my children (as I said in the my last post) I'd rip his head off. BUT, the state shouldn't have to power to kill the molester. It's murder. (ten commandments) It's cruel and unusual punishment (the constitution).the point of government is to encourage and support the better side of man. Not the animal side.
http://www.internationalwow.com/

Fun Fact: If you type “comical failure” into Google, it asks Did you mean: Charles Smith
Ken The Animal Bannister

Postby Knickerbocker33 » September 26, 2005, 6:18 pm

Man, this is a real blow to the Wizards, especially with training camp next week.
Knickerbocker33
Banned

Postby raiser » September 26, 2005, 6:42 pm

Knickerbocker33 wrote:Man, this is a real blow to the Wizards, especially with training camp next week.

I doubt Andre would have played much anyway. He is more of a project center.
raiser

Postby Maxflier » September 26, 2005, 10:20 pm

shakespeare wrote:I'm sure you're not an animal.

Hate to nitpick, but actually he is.
"Being a Knicks fan is like being a battered wife who keeps going back to her husband."
-RecordJunkie
Maxflier

Postby knicksfan4life » September 26, 2005, 10:30 pm

Curse of guy I wanted over david lee?

1. Turiaf
2. Blatche

sad stuff I hope they're both ok.
The 7-foot-1 Chandler brings size and paint presence the Knicks have lacked in recent seasons. "He brings everything that we didn't have," coach Mike D'Antoni said on Friday, before the deal was announced. "... We got a lot better, real quick."
knicksfan4life

Postby Isa Soulstar » September 26, 2005, 10:42 pm

Ken The Animal Bannister wrote:
If I caught someone molesting one of my children (as I said in the my last post) I'd rip his head off. BUT, the state shouldn't have to power to kill the molester. It's murder. (ten commandments) It's cruel and unusual punishment (the constitution).the point of government is to encourage and support the better side of man. Not the animal side.

Sorry to say Animal, but I agree with Shake. The very moment the punishment becomes greater than the crime is the moment people will trully fear the punishment, and only the criminal fears the punishment.

And am I correct in assuming you support vigilantism, however discourage capital punishment as a fundamental right for the protection of the citizens of the state?
oOoO...Friends don't let friends....VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
Isa Soulstar
Writer

Postby bobhait » September 27, 2005, 3:00 am

knicksfan4life wrote:Curse of guy I wanted over david lee?

1. Turiaf
2. Blatche

sad stuff I hope they're both ok.

...I was gonna say something before. not about you specifically, knicksfan, but the fact that these two were being mentioned a lot at the time of the draft by various board members. talk about dodging a bullet... sorry, poor choice of words.
Jeremy Lin is NOT that dude
bobhait

Postby damiansan » September 27, 2005, 11:52 am

Death penalty states do not have lower rates of criminal homicide than nondeath penalty states. In fact, while in 1984 most of the country experienced a decline in homicide rates, Florida, where the highest number of executions took place, had a 5.1 percent increase. It's no mystery why the death penalty fails to deter most murders: The vast majority are committed in the heat of passion and/or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

The deliberate killing of a human being has no place in a society that calls itself civilized and humane. Indeed, historically, the trend is towards elimination of the death penalty, and Canada and all the countries of Western Europe have abolished it. The ACLU opposes capital punishment because we believe it's a barbaric practice that, by today's standards, constitutes cruel and unusual punishment in violation of the Eighth Amendment. We also oppose it because it's applied in a discriminatory way. Black people convicted of killing whites are far more likely to be sentenced to death than are white killers or killers of either race whose victims are black.

http://www.aclufl.org/take_action/downl ... pers/2.cfm

Isa wrote:
Sorry to say Animal, but I agree with Shake. The very moment the punishment becomes greater than the crime is the moment people will trully fear the punishment, and only the criminal fears the punishment.

And am I correct in assuming you support vigilantism, however discourage capital punishment as a fundamental right for the protection of the citizens of the state?
damiansan

Return to NBA