Tobias Harris thread

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Tobias Harris thread

Postby rebound » June 11, 2019, 5:33 pm

Native New Yorker Tobias Harris will be a free agent this summer.
He is turning 27 years old in July.

I honestly feel he would play out a 4 year deal better than KD would.

Dennis/Mud/Kadeem
RJ/Trier/Dotson
Knox/Frank/2nd round pick
Tobias/Mario/Lance or 1 year UFA deal
Mitch/Vonleh/Luke

Bring back the same crew from last season minus Deandre. I believe this team is well balanced and can the make the playoffs.
Dribble penetration from the guards. 3 pt shooting from the forwards and interior play from the center, plus a well rounded bench.

Then go after AD in summer of 2020 if he's available
Team Mills
rebound

Re: Tobias Harris thread

Postby H20Knick » June 11, 2019, 5:46 pm

but if you go after AD and you get him... what do you do with Tobias?
Get well, KD. :(

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby rebound » June 11, 2019, 5:50 pm

H20Knick wrote:but if you go after AD and you get him... what do you do with Tobias?

try him at sf if not, to the bench.

tbh i feel AD being an UFA is a major reach but dont feel dangelo russell,malcolm brogdan, or khris middleton are worth maxing so the cap space should be preserved(barring kawhi which i think is a bigger reach than AD).
Team Mills
rebound

Postby H20Knick » June 11, 2019, 5:56 pm

rebound wrote:try him at sf if not, to the bench.

tbh i feel AD being an UFA is a major reach but dont feel dangelo russell,malcolm brogdan, or khris middleton are worth maxing so the cap space should be preserved(barring kawhi which i think is a bigger reach than AD).

Why are you higher on tobias than brogdon or middleton (genuinely asking)? They were all pretty underwhelming in the playoffs. I probably like Brodgon the most, but ruled him out because he plays RJ's position, although you could move him back to PG.

H20Knick

Postby rebound » June 11, 2019, 6:05 pm

[quote="H20Knick"]

Similar reasoning. Knicks have depth at guard and lack quality forwards.
Hence I feel Brogdan and Dangelo arent worth it over our current pool of guards + Rj.

Now Middleton is definitely an upgrade but is he worth throwing out any chance of signing AD? I rather give Knox the keys but I wouldn't be against signing Middleton and Tobias this summer, as the FA pool in 2020 outside of AD isn't any better.

It's also a perfectly logical position to take that signing Middleton to the max over Tobias would be a better fit. I just dont feel comfortable assuming Knox is going to be strong enough next season to hold down the PF spot every night.
DSjr
Rj
Middleton
Knox
Mitch
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Minkaveli » June 11, 2019, 8:20 pm

Melo lite. No thanks.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Minkaveli

Postby H20Knick » June 11, 2019, 9:25 pm

rebound wrote:
Similar reasoning. Knicks have depth at guard and lack quality forwards.
Hence I feel Brogdan and Dangelo arent worth it over our current pool of guards + Rj.

Now Middleton is definitely an upgrade but is he worth throwing out any chance of signing AD? I rather give Knox the keys but I wouldn't be against signing Middleton and Tobias this summer, as the FA pool in 2020 outside of AD isn't any better.

It's also a perfectly logical position to take that signing Middleton to the max over Tobias would be a better fit. I just dont feel comfortable assuming Knox is going to be strong enough next season to hold down the PF spot every night.
DSjr
Rj
Middleton
Knox
Mitch

good points all around. Last week when I was thinking team-building I realized we don't really have any long-term solution at PF. Harris gives us that at a reasonable cost.

H20Knick

Postby NewlyKnicked » June 12, 2019, 4:18 am

Tobias is a very good player. He doesn't have the "only-alpha" mentality of Melo which makes a big difference. He can adapt.
However, I think he's a non-max player, so the price must be right. His max is at 141mil for 4 years (76ers can offer 188mil for 5 years with his Bird rights). That's a very big paycheck and his playoffs against Toronto may slow Philly down a bit. We can try our luck at 25mil per but I don't think we'll win the bidding war with just that and I'm reluctant to go much higher
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Rusty La Rue » June 12, 2019, 4:33 am

NewlyKnicked wrote:Tobias is a very good player. He doesn't have the "only-alpha" mentality of Melo which makes a big difference. He can adapt.
However, I think he's a non-max player, so the price must be right. His max is at 141mil for 4 years (76ers can offer 188mil for 5 years with his Bird rights). That's a very big paycheck and his playoffs against Toronto may slow Philly down a bit. We can try our luck at 25mil per but I don't think we'll win the bidding war with just that and I'm reluctant to go much higher

Agreed... Tobias is not a max player so we should stay away as he will probably get the max or something close to it...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » June 12, 2019, 9:03 am

Not interested in him. A tobias led team is a first round exit and not even sure that team above makes the playoffs

Melo lite is a good comparison for him as mentioned above
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby mbn007 » June 12, 2019, 9:34 am

Just my opinion, but T. Harris is not a max player. Middleton is closer to what a max player should be, but even he really does not move the needle like a max player should.
mbn007

Postby H20Knick » June 12, 2019, 9:36 am

yeah max money for middleton/tobias/brogdon is a tough pill to swallow. i'd need a discount.

H20Knick

Postby Don Che » June 12, 2019, 12:24 pm

no way Brogdan gets a max deal...no way
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » June 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Don Che wrote:no way Brogdan gets a max deal...no way

if otto porter got a max deal, brogdon will absolutely get a max deal. His max is only 25% of the cap, hes young, he can pass, and he's a member of the super elite 50%/40%/90% club. EVERYONE in that club gets a max contract

8 players in nba history have done 50/40/90 while scoring at least 15ppg in a season (min games played: 50): Curry, Nash, KD, Dirk, Reggie, Mark Price, Nash... and Malcolm Brogdon.

In a world where efficiency is key and you need someone to play off a non-shooting superstar scorer who needs open lanes to the paint, there are few players as valuable as malcolm brogdon. His injury history gives me pause, but I'd legitimately feel more comfortable giving him a max than anyone else on the tier 3 list. Super efficient scoring is really hard to find.

H20Knick

Postby nazrmohamed » June 12, 2019, 1:57 pm

H20Knick wrote:but if you go after AD and you get him... what do you do with Tobias?

C and PF in a small ball system since its becoming almost impossible to keep legit C on the floor in the playoffs. Mitch seems fine almost BECAUSE of his lack of interior offense outside of lobs but I'm assuming he gets traded for AD in this scenario which brings me to....

WTF ARE WE ENTERTAINING THIS STUFF?

This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Where we miss out on Durant and move down the list offering maxes to every and any FA who'll pick up the phone. No Durant, no free agency.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby H20Knick » June 12, 2019, 2:34 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:
This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Where we miss out on Durant and move down the list offering maxes to every and any FA who'll pick up the phone. No Durant, no free agency.

geesh. okay dad. calm down

H20Knick

Postby Don Che » June 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

he does fit next to RJ...but still dont think hes getting a max. We'll know in July
Don Che

Postby reub » June 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

We're not getting AD this year. I'm betting on Boston. Tobias makes us a 40 win team at best and a first round exit from the playoffs. I'll pass.
reub

Postby nazrmohamed » June 12, 2019, 7:06 pm

Wtf are you guys talking about? This is exactly the scenario all of you stated you feared. Maxing out Tobias Harris or Middleton. H20, you're the fucking tank commander dude. Did I wake up in the twighlight zone? How could you be endorsing this.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby rebound » June 12, 2019, 7:18 pm

how much do you guys want to suck again next season? The Julius Randle proposal is interesting but I think Tobias's 3 pt shooting makes him the better fit.

Is Noah Vonleh good enough to start all season at PF?
Team Mills
rebound

Next

Return to New York Knicks