Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby big_j_NY » July 10, 2018, 4:17 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:Agreed. Sounds like a waste of money. Knox is looking like the real deal. You got Lance as the backup SF. Im OK with that.

I get that a lot of you guys wanna be losers but im good on signing total scrubs, we already have enough of those. Save the money for a megastar.


This is the one area where me and Koop have an agreement in terms of where to use our "free agent money."

Seriously guys, we get free cap space next summer and you want to throw it at MEDIOCRE ASS TOBIAS HARRIS?!

Even though Kyrie and Dame Lillard are insane reaches IMO, at the very least.........that's who you should considering throwing your available money at.

Kyrie took a young Celtics team to the playoffs before going down with an injury...........the fuck did Tobias Harris do in the last 3-4 years?
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
User avatar
big_j_NY
 
Joined: December 29, 2005, 11:47 pm
Location: Houston, TX.........Queens, NY born & raised

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby cragganmor » July 10, 2018, 4:39 pm

We have all season to evaluate who we have. If we are banking on a core of KP, Frank, Knox, Mitch then upgrade other spots where needed with somebody that's a difference maker.

It's only SL but Troy looks like he improved since the regular season ended; even great teams need strong glue guys.
User avatar
cragganmor
 
Joined: December 7, 2003, 9:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby StevoStarks » July 10, 2018, 4:58 pm

big_j_NY wrote:This is the one area where me and Koop have an agreement in terms of where to use our "free agent money."

Seriously guys, we get free cap space next summer and you want to throw it at MEDIOCRE ASS TOBIAS HARRIS?!

Even though Kyrie and Dame Lillard are insane reaches IMO, at the very least.........that's who you should considering throwing your available money at.

Kyrie took a young Celtics team to the playoffs before going down with an injury...........the fuck did Tobias Harris do in the last 3-4 years?


In Rebound's defense, he posed it as a question. I don't think anyone on this board wants to use a dime to sign Tobias Harris.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
User avatar
StevoStarks
Writer
 
Joined: September 30, 2003, 2:37 pm
Location: El Lay

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby cragganmor » July 11, 2018, 1:14 pm

One guy that is still on the FA board and might be had on a 1 yr deal is Montrezl. A physical, high energy guy.
User avatar
cragganmor
 
Joined: December 7, 2003, 9:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Don Che » July 12, 2018, 6:26 am

I'd rather start Knox at the 4

lance mitch can battle it out
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby cragganmor » July 13, 2018, 2:01 pm

To get a pair of max deals next summer, Perry would need to start clearing space now; THJ, Lee, Lance. Still no takers for Noah, so either play him or stretch him.

One rumor is that Sacto, having lost out on Zach would be interested in THJ.
User avatar
cragganmor
 
Joined: December 7, 2003, 9:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby spree#8 » July 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

cragganmor wrote:To get a pair of max deals next summer, Perry would need to start clearing space now; THJ, Lee, Lance. Still no takers for Noah, so either play him or stretch him.

One rumor is that Sacto, having lost out on Zach would be interested in THJ.


That's not our plan from how I read our moves. As I pointed out in another thread, we would've to get rid of THJ, Lee, Lance, Noah (stretched), Robinson, Dotson, Mudiay, Burke, Hezonja, Kanter, Kornet, Williams and Baker to create two max slots for veterans with 7-9 years NBA experience. That's absurd when the goal is to build from within, because no one develops if you give them the feeling that they are all unwanted and you only wait to get rid of them.

The core is KP, THJ, Knox, Ntilikina, Robinson and the goal seems to be to develop guys like Hezonja, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson, (maybe even Kanter) and to resign as many as possible while also creating one max slot to be in position to add a star when this enhanced core gets something done (steps in the right direction) and becomes an attractive free agent destination. That might be in 2019, but is way more likely in 2020, because we could and should compete for the playoffs in 19-20.

BTW: it is not a rumor, that Sacto has interest, it is pure name dropping by an author of Forbes.
#knickstape
User avatar
spree#8
 
Joined: June 5, 2006, 1:21 pm

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Mr3037 » July 16, 2018, 9:13 pm

spree#8 wrote:The core is KP, THJ, Knox, Ntilikina, Robinson and the goal seems to be to develop guys like Hezonja, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson, (maybe even Kanter) and to resign as many as possible while also creating one max slot to be in position to add a star when this enhanced core gets something done (steps in the right direction) and becomes an attractive free agent destination. That might be in 2019, but is way more likely in 2020, because we could and should compete for the playoffs in 19-20.


This is what I would hope for.

I'd have no problem trading Frank, THJ or Kanter IF it means we get players back of a similar age that are a better fit/more potential but I hope we do go with the idea of building through youth and then spending big on 1 max star or say 2 fringe stars to add the icing to our developing cake.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
User avatar
Mr3037
 
Joined: March 13, 2013, 7:46 am
Location: Delahey, Melbourne, Australia

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Championship 16/17 » July 17, 2018, 12:31 pm

cragganmor wrote:To get a pair of max deals next summer, Perry would need to start clearing space now; THJ, Lee, Lance. Still no takers for Noah, so either play him or stretch him.

One rumor is that Sacto, having lost out on Zach would be interested in THJ.


Where did you read that Sacto was interested in Thj?
Championship 16/17
 
Joined: May 31, 2015, 4:18 pm

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Championship 16/17 » July 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

spree#8 wrote:
That's not our plan from how I read our moves. As I pointed out in another thread, we would've to get rid of THJ, Lee, Lance, Noah (stretched), Robinson, Dotson, Mudiay, Burke, Hezonja, Kanter, Kornet, Williams and Baker to create two max slots for veterans with 7-9 years NBA experience. That's absurd when the goal is to build from within, because no one develops if you give them the feeling that they are all unwanted and you only wait to get rid of them.

The core is KP, THJ, Knox, Ntilikina, Robinson and the goal seems to be to develop guys like Hezonja, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson, (maybe even Kanter) and to resign as many as possible while also creating one max slot to be in position to add a star when this enhanced core gets something done (steps in the right direction) and becomes an attractive free agent destination. That might be in 2019, but is way more likely in 2020, because we could and should compete for the playoffs in 19-20.

BTW: it is not a rumor, that Sacto has interest, it is pure name dropping by an author of Forbes.


The core is Knox, KP, and Ntilikina. We are developing Robinson to be part of that core. Thj is not part of this core, I give him 3 months until he is in Fizz dog house for not playing defense and his poor shot selection.
Championship 16/17
 
Joined: May 31, 2015, 4:18 pm

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Red » July 17, 2018, 1:12 pm

Thought we needed vets to go along with the youngsters.. ain't that ThJ? :?
Knicks president Steve Mills made it clear that New York plans to sign a star in the 2019 offseason. "Porzingis is a magnet."

"I’m ready to come out and show people I’m able to play defense...’’Kevin Knox
User avatar
Red
 
Joined: February 23, 2014, 9:02 am

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby spree#8 » July 17, 2018, 3:55 pm

Championship 16/17 wrote:
The core is Knox, KP, and Ntilikina. We are developing Robinson to be part of that core. Thj is not part of this core, I give him 3 months until he is in Fizz dog house for not playing defense and his poor shot selection.


Good luck with your bet. I bet instead that THJ will be our leader next season until KP comes back and will be part of our core to develop the next few years until we may turn this core into the next one. A well developed core is about more than star players.
#knickstape
User avatar
spree#8
 
Joined: June 5, 2006, 1:21 pm

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby cragganmor » July 17, 2018, 9:09 pm

Champ, it's a Tommy Beer article in Forbes magazine:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... rdaway-jr/
User avatar
cragganmor
 
Joined: December 7, 2003, 9:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby big_j_NY » July 17, 2018, 9:32 pm

cragganmor wrote:Champ, it's a Tommy Beer article in Forbes magazine:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... rdaway-jr/


LOL

The end result of this article is the new reported trade for the Sacramento Kings re-acquiring Ben Mclemore from Memphis after the Kings let Mclemore leave them in the first place
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
User avatar
big_j_NY
 
Joined: December 29, 2005, 11:47 pm
Location: Houston, TX.........Queens, NY born & raised

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby cragganmor » July 17, 2018, 10:11 pm

Yeah, that's a real head-scratcher. How is McLemore a suitable replacement for Zach Lavine? Then again, we're talking about the Kings.
User avatar
cragganmor
 
Joined: December 7, 2003, 9:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby rebound » July 18, 2018, 10:31 am

damn lakers are going to get kawhi without giving up assets next summer arent they...

raptors got a steal as derozan is overrated imo but if they cant retain him it's not.
Team Mills
User avatar
rebound
 
Joined: January 22, 2004, 12:42 am

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 18, 2018, 10:36 am

They at least clear up cap space if kawhi leaves next offseason. Good move for Toronto either way because Derozan wasn't going to get them closer to the title anyway
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
User avatar
NewlyKnicked
 
Joined: November 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby Championship 16/17 » July 18, 2018, 12:40 pm

Toronto won his trade, Masai strikes again man. If they could of pulled this trade off last year, Dwayne Casey would still have a job. Don't underestimate Drake's ability to introduce Kawhi to the city. Either way it's a win win if be resigns or not. The Spurs organization is no more, they will steadily decline, by 2020/2021 everyone will be gone, even Pop. Boston & Sixers don't have a clear path to the finals anymore. Yes, a rejuvenated Kawhi is that good!
Championship 16/17
 
Joined: May 31, 2015, 4:18 pm

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby StevoStarks » July 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Championship 16/17 wrote:Toronto won his trade, Masai strikes again man. If they could of pulled this trade off last year, Dwayne Casey would still have a job. Don't underestimate Drake's ability to introduce Kawhi to the city. Either way it's a win win if be resigns or not. The Spurs organization is no more, they will steadily decline, by 2020/2021 everyone will be gone, even Pop. Boston & Sixers don't have a clear path to the finals anymore. Yes, a rejuvenated Kawhi is that good!


That's what I said in the other thread. We know his feelings now, but when he goes through a season with those guys, gets into the playoffs and doesn't have to face a stacked WC to get to the Finals, he may end up liking his situation more than he thought.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
User avatar
StevoStarks
Writer
 
Joined: September 30, 2003, 2:37 pm
Location: El Lay

Re: Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Postby rebound » July 18, 2018, 4:01 pm

Nah I dont think their roster is very enticing.
Team Mills
User avatar
rebound
 
Joined: January 22, 2004, 12:42 am

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests