Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Pick the New Coach

Blatt
4
10%
Fizdale
12
29%
Doc Rivers
1
2%
Mark Jackson
3
7%
Budenholzer
12
29%
Messina
0
No votes
Stackhouse
7
17%
Borrego
0
No votes
Becky Hammon
1
2%
Other
1
2%
 
Total votes : 41

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Don Che » April 16, 2018, 1:19 am

Also jerry coached and developed most of Toronto's bench....which is the best bench in the league.

In my mind....Fizz or Jerry Stack house are the picks....anyone else means we failed to really review and project success...instead we are relying on just relationships
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Rusty La Rue » April 16, 2018, 3:50 am

rebound wrote:with noah banished, what egos would blatt have to deal with?


jay wright, stackhouse, blatt, jvg, fizzdale
any of those 5 work for me.

no to jackson,rivers,vogel,woody
their body of work speaks for itself. woody was better than hornacek but not a good fit for a team like this.


I agree except for JVG... even though I love the guy... It almost never works to go back... which is why I am also against bringing back Woody...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue
 
Joined: November 10, 2004, 7:41 am
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Red » April 16, 2018, 6:16 am

All the candidates from Doc, Fizdale, Woodson, down to Blatt, JVG, and MJ have playoff experience coaching at the NBA level. Some have front office experience.

In that sense...

Red wrote:Idk how Jerry Stackhouse is better than any of the above.


Not that he can't be but in terms of experience there is no relative comparison- d league and assistant gigs considered.
Knicks president Steve Mills made it clear that New York plans to sign a star in the 2019 offseason. "Porzingis is a magnet."

"I’m ready to come out and show people I’m able to play defense...’’Kevin Knox
User avatar
Red
 
Joined: February 23, 2014, 9:02 am

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby shakespeare » April 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Hammon is my pick.

Don’t ask why.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 2:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Irv » April 16, 2018, 9:53 am

Red wrote:All the candidates from Doc, Fizdale, Woodson, down to Blatt, JVG, and MJ have playoff experience coaching at the NBA level. Some have front office experience.

In that sense...

Not that he can't be but in terms of experience there is no relative comparison- d league and assistant gigs considered.


That's fair if that's your criteria. It depends on what Mills and Perry are looking for in terms of experience. I'm not terribly worried about Stackhouse's lack of NBA playoff experience because if you coach in the NBA, you'd better be able to get there sooner than later. However, these Knicks have to learn how to walk before they run, and the playoffs can't be assumed when Porzingis is out for up to half of next season.

However, the end goal needs to be more than the playoffs because more than half of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs every season. There's clearly a ceiling on the coaching abilities of some candidates like Woodson, so saying that a coach like him has playoff experience doesn't mean much to me.

Front office experience for this gig is irrelevant because that's not part of the job description for this opening.
User avatar
Irv
Administrator
 
Joined: February 8, 2003, 11:24 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby taowave » April 16, 2018, 10:14 am

Judging by our roster,not sure if playoff experience is anything we need to worry about any time soon...

I may have to go with the G leauger who can get his team to play D and win..

Much better fit with our roster
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Nononsense » April 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Nononsense wrote:Stackhouse - scratching my head...
Irv wrote:Stackhouse was 2017 D-League Coach of the Year, 2017 D-League champion, and made this year's finals as well. He won it all at a lower level and was an assistant coach for the Raptors prior to that. His Raptors 905 team has been the best defensive team in the league for two years in a row. This season, they allowed over four fewer points per game than the second-best defensive team in the G League, the Westchester Knicks. Offensively, Stackhouse's system features good ball movement; it isn't '90s ball. His 2016-17 team was also a top-five offense in most advanced statistics. He also has a rep for effectively communicating with his players.

He may indeed turn out to be a good coach in the NBA, but that D-League/G-League resume just doesn't get me excited. With that being said, if he ends up being our coach, I'll quickly get on board and give him the my full support.

Nononsense wrote:I guess the one I'd be on board with most is Doc Rivers. He has that old-Knick connection that JVG & Jax has, but he's also a proven coach with a proven track record that has coached recently and should still be in touch with the game. But have the Knicks even reached out to him?
Irv wrote:Have the Knicks even reached out to Gregg Popovich?

Doc Rivers is still employed as a head coach. Also, I'm not interested in buying in on the Austin Rivers experience.

I was just responding based on the coaches listed in the poll. I didn't check to see if he was yet fired or had stepped down, but all indications point to him not being back with the Clippers next season. So to your point, that answers my inquiry of whether or not we've reached out to him. But I still would like for us to interview him if/when he's released. I wouldn't worry about nepotism. Remember, the only way he got away with it with the Clippers is because of his dual role on the sidelines and in front office. With us, I assume he'd only be brought on as our head coach. I trust Scott Perry to stand against such folly.
User avatar
Nononsense
 
Joined: June 23, 2005, 3:52 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Irv » April 16, 2018, 10:29 am

The only report I've read that Doc Rivers absolutely won't be retained comes from Peter Vecsey, the OG champion of garbage-ass unnamed sources. That contradicts what David Aldridge said a few days prior about Rivers being expected to return. For now, I don't think his situation is as divisive and controversial as Hornacek's was.
User avatar
Irv
Administrator
 
Joined: February 8, 2003, 11:24 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Nononsense » April 16, 2018, 10:35 am

Well, then scratch that (as well as my head when it comes to Stackhouse). JK... :D
User avatar
Nononsense
 
Joined: June 23, 2005, 3:52 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Irv » April 16, 2018, 10:47 am

Nononsense wrote:Well, then scratch that (as well as my head when it comes to Stackhouse). JK... :D


Haha...for me, I'm in the camp of breaking from tradition because whatever you would call the "Knicks way" of doing things has been a colossal failure for years. I've been over chasing big names for quite some time now, because the only time a big name player, coach, or executive comes to the Knicks is when they're damaged goods or looking for a paycheck.

The only available head coaches with NBA experience that I'd be on board with right now are Fizdale and Blatt. Their NBA track records are too brief to be truly tainted, and their firings can be rationalized as being the result of malcontent players (Marc Gasol and LeBron) rather than a lack of competency or actively creating the dysfunction.

I've been on the fence with Blatt, but what got me to reconsider him was David Griffin saying that if the Cavs knew they were getting LeBron later that offseason, he wouldn't have hired Blatt as the coach because Blatt was hired for Cleveland's rebuilding process.
User avatar
Irv
Administrator
 
Joined: February 8, 2003, 11:24 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Don Che » April 16, 2018, 11:59 am

Fizdale or Stackhouse and ill be happy

Blatt and ill be lukewarm


everyone else would be a huge dissapointment



but whoever we hire..has to be able to connect with KP...the last coach KP had a solid relationship with was Fisher.
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby nazrmohamed » April 16, 2018, 12:54 pm

Don Che wrote:Also jerry coached and developed most of Toronto's bench....which is the best bench in the league.

In my mind....Fizz or Jerry Stack house are the picks....anyone else means we failed to really review and project success...instead we are relying on just relationships


Relationships matter, especially in a town that lives to sow the seeds of dysfunction I don't know shit about Stackhouse TBH, and not really versed on Fizzdale. They could be great candidates but I wouldn't say that "we failed to review and track success" just because we don't take these guys.

My fear in taking Stackhouse is he better be strong willed. Not because of the media and bullshit fans say. He's gotta be strong within the organization and not become some puppet. I think he needs more seasoning. But I'd love to have him on Blatts bench.
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 9:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby nazrmohamed » April 16, 2018, 1:00 pm

taowave wrote:The only thing I noticed about Blatt is he has a very abrasive style. I am not sure he can relate to the egos of todays players,not too mention the NY mrdia


What egos? We have no stars except KP who will return on a minutes restriction. Everybody is talking patience and I think expectations are more about developing a structure at least for now.

Now if he were walking into a Melo led lockerroom it might be different but even Melo wasn't the type to lead a mutiny as LeBron did. This is actually the perfect situation.
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 9:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby cheftom » April 16, 2018, 1:07 pm

Sadly, Ewing has a job.
Overly optimistic about the Knicks since 1974
User avatar
cheftom
 
Joined: April 4, 2007, 3:48 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby taowave » April 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

Lol..good point...we are much closer to a G LEAGUE team than an NBA team,but Hornacek managed to have several flare ups which didn't help his cause..




nazrmohamed wrote:
What egos? We have no stars except KP who will return on a minutes restriction. Everybody is talking patience and I think expectations are more about developing a structure at least for now.

Now if he were walking into a Melo led lockerroom it might be different but even Melo wasn't the type to lead a mutiny as LeBron did. This is actually the perfect situation.
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » April 16, 2018, 3:07 pm

Ian Begley

@IanBegley
The Knicks have not shown any interest in Jeff Van Gundy as a candidate for their head-coaching position at this point, league sources told ESPN. Full story coming.

2:54 PM - Apr 16, 2018
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
User avatar
ISIAH_THOMAS
 
Joined: October 13, 2014, 11:25 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby taowave » April 16, 2018, 3:10 pm

Nothing wrong with having a job :happy:


cheftom wrote:Sadly, Ewing has a job.
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Don Che » April 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

Nazr, i researched both guys before saying what i said.

Perry and Jerry have a history...Mills and Perry arent Phil or Zeke in regards to bridges in the league.

They are both very NBA guys and if they want success theyll let whoever they pick...do their job.

if I see Mark being picked...i know it was a popular vote not a real interview and review of ppl's skills for this rebuild.

Fiz...well i think he has the best blend of:

1. Young Coach
2. Assistant to a championship team
3. Respect from the league
4. Coached a defensive minded team.
5. Playoff experience


as a candidate minus projecting i think hes best.
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 4:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby taowave » April 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

I'm leaning towards whichever candidate can still dunk..

Advantage Stack
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 9:54 pm

Re: Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Postby Minkaveli » April 16, 2018, 3:50 pm

I can see the thoughts on JVG. He's been out of the NBA for years. Hes definitely a pipe dream but based on what Perry and Mills said last year, outside of coaching a defensive orientated team, I'm not sure after listening to him on the air that he can relate to the younger players. Fiz is the guy. Plain and simple. Has to be.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
User avatar
Minkaveli
 
Joined: September 18, 2003, 2:46 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], ISIAH_THOMAS, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests