The talent acquisition phase

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: The talent acquisition phase

Postby Mike1989 » February 24, 2018, 11:41 am

gradyandrew wrote:Can KP even refuse though? Won't we have the right to match whatever he gets offered? I still think being a star in New York means something. KAT is the superior player but I'd guess that KP sells about 10x as many jerseys.

KP has a few different options:

1. Signs a designated rookie extension in 2018. When a player enters their four year they can sign an extension up to six years. This option also allows him maximize his earnings and boost his cap percentage if he makes the All-NBA teams, is named the DPOTY, or the MVP.

2. Waits and signs as a restricted free agent in 2019. This opens the door for him to sign for a new team in 2022 or sign a veteran extension.

3. Leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2020. This option requires him to accept the Knicks' qualifying offer and play out his fourth and fifth season with us. We would still hold an advantage over other teams because we can offer an extra year and greater annual raises, but he could potentially close the gap in earnings depending on where he signs (e.g. no state income tax in Florida or Texas might make a difference when compared to tax levels in New York?).

The most likely scenario is he signs an extension with us either as early as this summer or we match any offer he gets in restricted free agency. I doubt he would go down route three unless he was truly unhappy with playing for this team and wanted the easiest route out where he could pick his next destination rather than letting us pick it for him.
Last edited by Mike1989 on February 24, 2018, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike1989

Postby nazrmohamed » February 24, 2018, 12:06 pm

Welcome to the board Mike.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » February 25, 2018, 1:39 pm

He's Prolly doing option 3
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » February 25, 2018, 1:51 pm

After reading that, I gave up all hope of going the Kawhi route. Without a doubt he'll sign the designated rookie max extension this off season. Perry will give him whatever he wants.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
Management didn't get that memo.
gradyandrew

Postby rebound » February 25, 2018, 5:13 pm

say the knicks magically win a top 3 pick. do you guys do courtney lee and the pick for kawhi?
if no, would you do noah and the pick for kawhi?
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Mike1989 » February 25, 2018, 5:26 pm

rebound wrote:say the knicks magically win a top 3 pick. do you guys do courtney lee and the pick for kawhi?

My issue with that deal is Leonard has two years left on his deal and the second year is a player option, then he's a UFA. So there is a lot of risk attached to the trade because Kawhi could bolt after one season and then we are left with nothing to show from this tank. Unless of course he commits to an extension then I'd consider it. However if he's not going to commit to one (ie like PG going to OKC), then I'd rather retain the pick and draft Ayton or Jackson, and if they are gone, I'd consider Bagley or Porter, though Trae Young is an appealing option as well.

With that said, if we could get a player ready to sign their first extension like KP, then that would be another story because we'd gain greater security from that player and potentially better production. Not sure who fits this category of player that might be available, but that would an alternative.
Mike1989

Postby Don Che » February 25, 2018, 6:37 pm

kawhi is a FA next offseason right?....if so...im good...ill wait
Don Che

Postby Mike1989 » February 25, 2018, 6:47 pm

Don Che wrote:kawhi is a FA next offseason right?....if so...im good...ill wait

Yes, he can hit free agency in 2019 if he opts out. So best to wait and try and tempt him, unless we can get him for a bargain price like the Pelicans got Cousins from the Kings.
Mike1989

Postby Don Che » February 25, 2018, 7:00 pm

nah...i'd rather just wait till FA. He's 26 now and hopefully with this pick this year/next year/bringing KP back....we can have a really good core to lure Kawhi with.
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » February 25, 2018, 8:37 pm

rebound wrote:say the knicks magically win a top 3 pick. do you guys do courtney lee and the pick for kawhi?

I can't think of any time a team traded a top 3 pick and it worked out for them.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby Mike1989 » February 26, 2018, 5:40 am

gradyandrew wrote:I can't think of any time a team traded a top 3 pick and it worked out for them.

Cleveland?

They traded Wiggins for Love. Three straight NBA finals with one title win. They might still have made it with Wiggins and won but that trade did work out for the Cavs.

Orlando?

They traded Chris Webber the first overall pick for Penny Hardaway the third overall pick plus a few future first round picks. Hardaway became a key player for them and was one of the most popular of the 1990s.
Mike1989

Postby gradyandrew » February 27, 2018, 8:34 am

Mike1989 wrote:
Cleveland?

They traded Wiggins for Love. Three straight NBA finals with one title win. They might still have made it with Wiggins and won but that trade did work out for the Cavs.

Orlando?

They traded Chris Webber the first overall pick for Penny Hardaway the third overall pick plus a few future first round picks. Hardaway became a key player for them and was one of the most popular of the 1990s.

Love has had basically one stretch of good basketball since he was traded, at the tail end of the 2016 season when the Melo for Love rumors were flying around the league. I'd go as far to say that Cleveland won a ring despite trading for Love rather than because of it. That ring was all about Tyronn Lue giving most of Love's minutes to Jefferson who was the superior player until this season. Wiggins has been injured and pretty much off the map in Minnesota, but I'd still say that Cleveland would unmake that trade in a minute if they can.

Looking at the sum of Webber and Penny's careers, there's also no way to spin that trade as a net win for the Magic. Webber has a shot at the Hall of Fame, Penny doesn't.
gradyandrew

Postby spree#8 » March 2, 2018, 1:49 pm

So Noah stays at least until the offseason. Next question is whether we resign Troy Williams on another ten day contract or even for the rest of the year.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Championship 16/17 » March 2, 2018, 1:51 pm

I like Troy as a backup SF.
Championship 16/17

Postby gradyandrew » March 2, 2018, 2:03 pm

spree#8 wrote:So Noah stays at least until the offseason. Next question is whether we resign Troy Williams on another ten day contract or even for the rest of the year.

I think he stays. He's already shown to have potential.
gradyandrew

Postby spree#8 » March 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

spree#8 wrote:So Noah stays at least until the offseason. Next question is whether we resign Troy Williams on another ten day contract or even for the rest of the year.

gradyandrew wrote:I think he stays. He's already shown to have potential.

Yup, just wanted to give the heads-up, that a decision is around the corner. His first 10 day contract should be up tomorrow.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » March 3, 2018, 7:41 pm

The New York Knicks will sign Troy Williams to a second 10-day contract.

“He’s played well for us,” Jeff Hornacek said. “It’s that activity. His athleticism and length. He covers ground. I can’t speak for Scott [Perry, the general manager] and all that, but he’s probably done enough to earn that.”
taowave

Postby cragganmor » March 3, 2018, 8:47 pm

Hope TW can continue to bring a high motor and athletic fishes the rest of the season. While he's fixing EM's shot, he should spend a bit of time likewise with Troy.
cragganmor

Postby NYGM » March 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

Troy needs to keep working on his 3pt shot though..

I guess we will give him a good look for the rest of the season..
NYGM

Previous

Return to New York Knicks