Are we winning the Melo trade?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Are we winning the Melo trade?

Postby Nononsense » December 10, 2017, 12:14 am

spree#8 wrote:Nazr, we got a very valuable pick in this trade. If you thought we would get anything higher than a late first-round pick for Melo, you are kidding yourself, so what's your problem with a pick 31 to maybe 33? Two 25 year old players on top. So what are you mad about? As I said: We got a pick with basically the same value you coveted, just not with the first-round label. What's the problem? We waited for the best offer and took it. Win-win for Melo and us. Exactly how it should went down.

And to add to this, an early second round pick is actually more valuable than a late first round pick if you ask me because the money is less and not guaranteed. So long as the scouts do their job (and they've been uncanny thus far), there's absolutely no reason to be upset with the deal.
Nononsense

Postby taowave » December 13, 2017, 8:55 pm

Melo getting ripped to shreds on Twitter by OKC fans..

It's ugly
taowave

Postby nazrmohamed » December 13, 2017, 10:07 pm

taowave wrote:Melo getting ripped to shreds on Twitter by OKC fans..

It's ugly

Yeah, I don't even wanna look. I'm scared I might have to tell Red he was right. In any case you had to figure that it was gonna come down to age. He simply can't do the things that he used to while having flaws in his game.

#notmyproblemnomore
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » December 13, 2017, 10:31 pm

Whats bizarre is their D is really good,but their offense is HORRIBLE..Melo looks lost,and the big 3 are shooting 40%,,I guess the good news is they are too talented to be this bad offensively....

Red wanted to bench Melo...

The smart move was getting him out of here at all costs...

nazrmohamed wrote:
Yeah, I don't even wanna look. I'm scared I might have to tell Red he was right. In any case you had to figure that it was gonna come down to age. He simply can't do the things that he used to while having flaws in his game.

#notmyproblemnomore
taowave

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » December 13, 2017, 10:45 pm

Their defense is great. Adams is a beast

Me lo looks terrible and so does their entire offense street ball style
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 14, 2017, 12:45 am

nazrmohamed wrote:

#notmyproblemnomore

George and Westbrook are also under performing. Not fair for fans to single out Melo....especially since hes not the best player, or even the second best player. Its Westbrooks job to get Melo good looks, and he rarely does it. When he does, Melo makes them. I saw a play today where Russ passes it to Melo on the wing heavily guarded with the shot clock running down....Melo just threw it back to Russ like "how about you miss it ?" :laugh:

They have no gameplan on offense. Its just 100 percent pick and roll every time down. At least with other teams they run a set before getting to the pick n roll as the final option. With OKC its option 1, 2 and 3. 4Th option is dump it to Melo or George and hope they can do some 1 on 1 excellence. Its just not good BBall.
Koopa Troopa

Postby Geolink » December 14, 2017, 4:00 am

Melo’s decline is at a rapid pace.
Geolink wrote:Must be nice to sit out for months from your job, still earn millions in guaranteed money, and fucking a nice model girlfriend at a tropical beach...
Geolink

Postby Rusty La Rue » December 14, 2017, 8:31 am

Look at OKCs box score from last nights game against the Pacers:
http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400975155

I do not know how they won the game... Because Melo shot 4-14, PG 3-14 & Westbrook 3-17... that is just awful... Adams kept 'em in it I guess... and you have to respect Westbrook got 17 rebounds and 12 assist... but those shooting numbers from their three stars is just plain ugly...
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Postby taowave » December 14, 2017, 9:29 am

If you watched the game,you would see how ugly there offense really is.Its worse than the box score. No spacing,no flow.....Melo is a bad fit with George and Westbrook.There is only one ball,and it's in Westbrooks hands most of the time.Ryan Anderson would be a better fit.

Rusty La Rue wrote:Look at OKCs box score from last nights game against the Pacers:

I do not know how they won the game... Because Melo shot 4-14, PG 3-14 & Westbrook 3-17... that is just awful... Adams kept 'em in it I guess... and you have to respect Westbrook got 17 rebounds and 12 assist... but those shooting numbers from their three stars is just plain ugly...
taowave

Postby Ari_Ingus » December 14, 2017, 10:37 am

Rusty La Rue wrote:Look at OKCs box score from last nights game against the Pacers:

KP + Frank scored 50 while these three starts scored ~37 if im not wrong :D
Ari_Ingus

Postby KRL » December 14, 2017, 10:46 am

Presti is viewed as a good GM but the George & Anthony trades destroyed OKC chemistry
and depth. How much better would they be if they had Oladipo, Sabonis, Kanter and
McDermott? Instead Presti went for the "sexy" names and they just don't fit, thank
goodness we were able to get Anthony out of here because his legs look shot
KRL

Postby Don Che » December 14, 2017, 12:13 pm

super teams only work when most of them D up, all willing to pass to the open man.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » December 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

I've only watched clips and analysis, but the bulk of their offense is 1) Iso Russ 2) Iso PG 3) Iso Melo. Sometimes they get the spectacular, too often the get a contested shot with the clock winding down. We've seen this movie before, it ends badly; OKC has it in triplicate.
cragganmor

Postby taowave » December 14, 2017, 2:23 pm

Don,check this out..OKC would rather see Melo at the 3.Maybe Red is right.6th man in the making.Go figure

Thunderous Intentions
Play Video
Time for change: OKC Thunder must play Patrick Patterson
by Lawrence George1 week ago

OKC Thunder PF Patrick Patterson shoots a jumper
Rotations in the OKC Thunder camp have raised eye brows so far this season. With coach Billy Donovan searching furiously for rotation balance, one player has been on the outside looking in – Patrick Patterson.

Somehow, the OKC Thunder have turned one of the best statistical power forwards into a below average NBA player. When OKC netted Patrick Patterson to a 3-year, 16.4-million dollar contract, it was an absolute steal. For 4-years with the Toronto Raptors, Patterson was the first big off the bench, provided excellent on-ball defense and a nightly threat from deep.

Last season, 2-Pat ranked 25th in defensive real plus/minus (+1.26), 10th in offensive real plus/minus (1.05) and 11th in real plus/minus (2.31) and hit a solid 37 percent beyond the arc. His hustle, willingness to engage on the block and do the “little” things is well respected throughout the league. He is a players-player, a strong locker room presence and will do what it takes to win.

Fast forward 4 months and Patterson is hardly playing. He is averaging career lows in minutes (13.7), points per game (2.6), field goal percentage (38.5) and 3-point percentage (34.4). This notion that 2-Pat is still in “offseason mode” was reasonable to begin with but not after 20 games.

Oklahoma City are currently playing Carmelo Anthony at the 4-spot. While that creates mismatches on the offensive end for OKC, Melo gives it right back on defense. Melo prefers to avoid contact on the defensive end and has lost a step or two. Moving him back to the 3 (small forward) maybe where he fits best. While 2-Pat won’t dramatically help you on the glass, he will hustle and fight down low. An area the Thunder have been regularly exposed this season.

How he fits:

Bringing the Grind

Patrick Patterson offers some balls to the starting unit. Tenacity, grit and determination are three components the Thunder lack. Loose balls, boxing out and playing opponents physically have disappeared in 2017. While Melo, Paul George, Russell Westbrook and Andre Roberson are decent rebounders, none are particularly strong inside. Boxing out and hustling for loose balls are effort plays.

Apologies for roasting Melo but he simply isn’t that guy at the power forward spot. He is a part time 4 but he is predominantly a small forward. After 4 seasons playing alongside Jonas Valenciunas in Toronto, 2-Pat is a master at covering weak defenders. Melo may not be a great defender but he is far better than JV. If called upon however, Patterson will help mask Melo’s shortcomings.

Knows his role

Patterson doesn’t command the ball and stretches the floor. He is a perfect complementary piece for stars Russ, PG and Anthony to operate with. As Hall of Famer Tracy McGrady alluded to on ESPN’s The Jump, less is more.

Patterson understands his strengths, limitations and plays within himself. He is highly coachable and capable of playing within a system. His career 36.7 percent will cause opposing teams to respect him. If defenses converge on Russ, Melo or PG, Patterson will get plenty of open looks.

Team-First Mentality

The Iso-heavy OKC Thunder offense must change and Patterson’s team-first mentality helps. Patrick Patterson won’t pout or spit the dummy if he doesn’t get the ball. He will do what it takes to win. Westbrook, PG and Melo have historically voiced their dissatisfaction if they do not take the last shot.

He will screen, take charges, muscle up and pass up open shots to get the best shot available. Quite often, stars are so caught up in themselves they forget about the greater good. 2-Pat’s attitude toward team basketball is badly needed to break the dreaded “your turn, my turn” iso-ball.

To get out of “offseason” mode, Patterson needs to play. Starting or inserting him into the game earlier is a good place to start.
taowave

Postby Don Che » December 14, 2017, 5:20 pm

that....is just hilarious

if he was willing to come off the bench here things would of gone differently but u know what...idc ..wish him the best but happy he's gone.

basketball is a hard game to manage as is...adding a players ego is just a problem waiting to happen.
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » December 14, 2017, 5:25 pm

cragganmor wrote:I've only watched clips and analysis, but the bulk of their offense is 1) Iso Russ 2) Iso PG 3) Iso Melo. Sometimes they get the spectacular, too often the get a contested shot with the clock winding down. We've seen this movie before, it ends badly; OKC has it in triplicate.

The irony to all of this..........Billy Donovan was originally hired by OKC to create a "non-ISO offense" for Russ and Durant to thrive that Scott Brooks couldn't. Donovan hasn't done that, as a matter of fact, he has run more Russ ISOs than ever since he was hired to OKC. Even prior to Durant leaving to Golden State, Donovan literally did what you described, cragg. The 2013-2014 Thunder was literally either 1) ISO Russ or 2) ISO Durant

So the question is.........is OKC's offensive problems come down to MVP-winner Westbrook not being a facilitating point guard? Because OKC replaced Brooks with an offensive-minded Donovan, YET the OKC offense is still ISO-dominant with Westbrook at point guard.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » December 16, 2017, 12:47 am

Westbrook chucking is the bigest issue. Offense looked fine when Felton ran it these past two games.

And this sixers okc game is going to be an espn classic
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby taowave » December 16, 2017, 8:31 am

That was a great game...

Embiid,if healthy is a monster..

Loved Westbrook telling him to "Go Home"..

And Westbrook has got to figure things out..Guy goes 10-33??

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Westbrook chucking is the bigest issue. Offense looked fine when Felton ran it these past two games.

And this sixers okc game is going to be an espn classic
taowave

Postby maxinquaye11 » December 16, 2017, 9:12 am

They featured it a lil. Westbrook and Felton 2pg lineup to solve the OK3 woes. Book it.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on December 16, 2017, 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11

Postby taowave » December 16, 2017, 9:15 am

I think I am with you on the 2 pg in OKC..

Westbrook is a force of nature,but he's a 2 guard mentality..

maxinquaye11 wrote:Westbrook and Felton 2pg to solve the OKC woes. Book it. They featured it a little.
taowave

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks