Young Core Comparisons

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Young Core Comparisons

Postby Don Che » August 11, 2017, 9:05 pm

Looking at our core of

Willy Hernangomez
Kristaps Porzingis
Tim Hardaway Jr(if I have to)
Frank Ntilikina

What team in history is similar would you guys say? Present or past. If they maximize, what could they be?

I personally see a more offensive version of the Stockton/Malone teams with Tim as our Hornececk role

Also can see the Memphis grizzlies going inside out game.

KP is an anomoly so this let's this be creative. In some situations he may compare to another teams shooting guard.
Don Che

Re: Young Core Comparisons

Postby n8 the gr8 » August 12, 2017, 12:06 am

This could be a good thread as long as no-one comes and pokes holes in everything. :P

What about the 04 Pistons? KP = Sheed, Frank = Chauncey, THJ = Rip. Willy's the odd man out, maybe Okur hopefully not Darko.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby Championship 16/17 » August 12, 2017, 6:28 am

We are missing that 5th player to complete a team, I think he will determine how great this team can be, and I believe he will come from the 2018 Draft.

But for: now, I see similarities to the 2012 Spanish team in the Olympic games, featuring Paul and Marc Gasol.

I don't see a current or past NBA team, but I see similarities with certain NBA players.

Frank Nitkina (Penny Hardaway)
Tim Hardaway Jr. (Reggie Miller, his fearlessness in the 4th)
Kristaps Porzingis (Paul Gasol/Dirk Notwitz)
Willy Hernangomez (Marc Gasol)
Championship 16/17

Postby Nononsense » August 12, 2017, 12:19 pm

Starters
PG - Frank Nitkina (Frank Williams)
SG - Tim Hardaway Jr. (Tim Thomas)
SF - Daymean Dotson (Demetrius Nichols)
PF - Kristaps Porzingis (Keith Van Horn)
C - Willy Hernangomez (Josh Harrellson)

Bench
PG - Ron Baker (Jared Jordan)
SG - Chasson Randle (Mardy Collins)
SF - Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Landry Fields)
PF - Kyle O'Quinn (Jackie Butler)
C - Marshall Plumlee (Michael Doleac)

The KVH/TT debate is officially over. We've found a way to acquire both.
Nononsense

Postby n8 the gr8 » August 12, 2017, 12:50 pm

TT and KVH would both be good players in the league today IMO. They'd both be solid stretch 4s.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby H20Knick » August 12, 2017, 6:22 pm

Wow. KVH is statistically an amazing comparison for mistake. I hadn't ever thought of it but it's almost spot on.
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Donkic express!
H20Knick

Postby H20Knick » August 13, 2017, 7:31 am

H20Knick wrote:Wow. KVH is statistically an amazing comparison for kp. I hadn't ever thought of it but it's almost spot on.
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Donkic express!
H20Knick

Postby dcapodic » August 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

H20Knick wrote:Wow. KVH is statistically an amazing comparison for kp. I hadn't ever thought of it but it's almost spot on.

Oh, I have thought about this one many times and mentioned it in past posts. There are obvious differences but their games are frames are similar. KVH had a much more developed game but not the height nor defensive aggressiveness that KP already has. The main "issue" with KVH was the era that he played in. Defensive players were allowed to just out muscle and beat him up constantly. After a while, you could see it effect his game and he become more of an outside player and at that time, peeps still hadn't gotten used to a "big man" 3 point threat.

Fortunately, KP does not have to worry as much about the physical play since that has been all but taken out of the game now.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby Don Che » August 13, 2017, 2:33 pm

Still hated Zeke for trading KVH and getting Tim....god he was a scrub but....kvh would go ham in today's NBA
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » August 13, 2017, 7:10 pm

What? I loved that trade! TT was so much better on the break. KVH was too slow to play with Marbury.
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » August 13, 2017, 10:23 pm

Tim Thomas sucked....his best year was Keith's worst year
Don Che

Postby noypi » August 14, 2017, 3:05 am

Championship 16/17 wrote:We are missing that 5th player to complete a team, I think he will determine how great this team can be, and I believe he will come from the 2018 Draft.

But for: now, I see similarities to the 2012 Spanish team in the Olympic games, featuring Paul and Marc Gasol.

I don't see a current or past NBA team, but I see similarities with certain NBA players.

Frank Nitkina (Penny Hardaway)
Tim Hardaway Jr. (Reggie Miller, his fearlessness in the 4th)
Kristaps Porzingis (Paul Gasol/Dirk Notwitz)
Willy Hernangomez (Marc Gasol)

Whoa! Slow down, boss. Better temper our expectations lest we be greatly disappointed.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby Koopa Troopa » August 14, 2017, 4:27 am

I think the best comparison for this group is a lottery team
Koopa Troopa

Postby Don Che » August 14, 2017, 7:04 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:I think the best comparison for this group is a lottery team

That's possible even more likely for next year but I mean once all these guys are in their prime. If you think these guys are a lottery team in 4 years of being together that's a scary thought.
Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » August 14, 2017, 3:42 pm

Don Che wrote:Still hated Zeke for trading KVH and getting Tim....god he was a scrub but....kvh would go ham in today's NBA

And traded him at a time where Marbury and KVH were really starting to gel, and perfect the P&R.

Thank god we had Doleac to step in as the main P&R man.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Don Che » August 14, 2017, 3:48 pm

Lmao dam that was my rock bottom
Don Che

Postby n8 the gr8 » August 14, 2017, 5:18 pm

StevoStarks wrote:And traded him at a time where Marbury and KVH were really starting to gel, and perfect the P&R.

Doleac and Uncle Kurt both had games with Marbury where they were money on mid-range jumpers.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby big_j_NY » August 14, 2017, 6:25 pm

StevoStarks wrote:And traded him at a time where Marbury and KVH were really starting to gel, and perfect the P&R.

n8 the gr8 wrote:Doleac and Uncle Kurt both had games with Marbury where they were money on mid-range jumpers.

If Allan Houston didn't completely fall apart health-wise at the beginning of Marbury's Knicks tenure, maybe things wouldn't have turned out so bad for the Knicks franchise under Marbury.

At best, a healthy Marbury/H20 backcourt tandem alongside KVH, Uncle Kurt, and even Doleac in the center rotation would've at least made us a competitive playoff team for a good number of years.

Obviously Zeke being so "trigger happy on trades" would've helped with this concept as well
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Koopa Troopa » August 14, 2017, 6:52 pm

Don Che wrote:
That's possible even more likely for next year but I mean once all these guys are in their prime. If you think these guys are a lottery team in 4 years of being together that's a scary thought.

I guess. My issue is that none of them look like they have ice in their veins, these are guys who we have seen get rattled under pressure. This could change but I dont know. On top of that they are either bad defenders or soft. Of course this is excluding Frank, we dont know anything about him and I dont think its fair to guess how good he will be.
Koopa Troopa

Postby gradyandrew » August 14, 2017, 8:04 pm

Wait, isn't Baker part of our core?
It’s not the frustration of the fans of us losing, they want to see the dog, they want to see that fight, they want to see that hunger inside of you. - THJ
gradyandrew

Next

Return to New York Knicks