[Merged] Kristaps Porzingis is Going to Become a Perennial All-Star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: [Merged] Kristaps Porzingis is Going to Become a Perennial All-Star

Postby spree#8 » August 11, 2017, 4:32 pm

highway61 wrote:thanks for video, If only Knicks had a point guard that looks for KP, like Latvia PG

Do your homework on Ntilikina and Sessions.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » August 11, 2017, 8:59 pm

Can't wait to see Frank and KP play together
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » August 11, 2017, 9:55 pm

spree#8 wrote:
Do your homework on Ntilikina and Sessions.

You mean study how Frank managed a whopping 1.4 assists in 18 mpg last season or are you talking about his staggering 1.56:1 assist to turnover ratio?
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Donkic express!
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » August 12, 2017, 1:57 am

In his first season with Paris Saint Germain Racing in the French A League appeared in 23 games as the team’s backup point guard … averaged 3.9 points and 1.7 assists in 10.0 minutes in French league play … also saw action in 11 games in the European Cup … averaged 5.8 points and 1.8 assists in 13.2 minutes in the tournament.

This guy ended up being a 1st ballot hall of famer......so I'm not too worried
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » August 12, 2017, 5:44 am

spree#8 wrote:Do your homework on Ntilikina and Sessions.

H20Knick wrote:You mean study how Frank managed a whopping 1.4 assists in 18 mpg last season or are you talking about his staggering 1.56:1 assist to turnover ratio?

I am talking about watching film and seeing his passing ability out of the pick-and-roll. But whatever. I told you that I would've taken Smith, but that doesn't mean that I am any less excited about Ntilikina, because there was a case to be made for both. If you can't get excited about Frank and want to moan for the next few years about not taking Smith, there is nothing I can do.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby nazrmohamed » August 12, 2017, 7:25 am

Euroleague play is so hard to judge based on Americans statistical emphasis. Guys like Ricky Rubio and Jennings went over and did that and were statistically horrible. The style doesnt lend to properly analyzing them based on our stats, at least at the age of 18.
- Frank played off guard in a two guard system where a seasoned vet played pg
- in most european systems the level of usage is spread out so evenly amongst everybody which is partly why phil thought hed fit into the triangle where pgs are less doninant

Whats really important is that in one of the toughest leagues in europe his team, which either won or lost in the championship trusted him, an 18yr old with major minutes and that in this environment multiple US scouts saw him enough that he stood out amongst peers and seasoned vets. He'll have to adjust no doubt but they say hes smart, efficient, unselfish and an elite defender. Gimmie those things and the other stuff can develop.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » August 12, 2017, 3:05 pm

Frank isn't going to he the project ppl think.

Purely based on his weight gain and shooting form improvements he will be fine. KP looked eh at summer league. . Gained 15 pounds and was the 2nd best rookie in a good class.

Frank is in the same boat. I'm just not sure how good but I think he's gonna be able to compete from day 1.

Height weight wingspan lateral quickness are all exceptional for NBA PGs
Don Che

Postby Laborant » August 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

What are your thoughts on this: KP plays primarily as a 5 on defence and as 4 on offence all of his career... I mean his outside/inside game is good as it gets, so most of the time opps will put 4 on him on defence anyway... that doesn't mean he don't need to develop killer low post moves.
Laborant

Postby nazrmohamed » August 15, 2017, 8:34 pm

Laborant wrote:What are your thoughts on this: KP plays primarily as a 5 on defence and as 4 on offence all of his career... I mean his outside/inside game is good as it gets, so most of the time opps will put 4 on him on defence anyway... that doesn't mean he don't need to develop killer low post moves.

I rather him do everything at PF and find a C with a playstyle similar to a DPOY Tyson Chandler. Yeah we got a ton of C, but you acquire X and trade Y you know what Im saying?

Id trade Willy Hernangomez and 2 second rounders for Carys Levert and Jarrett Allen right now.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Nononsense » August 15, 2017, 8:59 pm

Nah, you just need an enforcer type at power forward that can rebound and defend either pf or c, and we're good.
Nononsense

Postby Don Che » August 16, 2017, 7:01 am

KP is so unique you have to build a unique roster to really maximize him in a team concept.

Basically on defense defend the rim mostly and on offense be everywhere

Will is good but he doesn't fit that mold but it may still work on offense....its defense I'm a little worried about.
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » August 16, 2017, 9:48 am

Don Che wrote:KP is so unique you have to build a unique roster to really maximize him in a team concept.

Basically on defense defend the rim mostly and on offense be everywhere

Will is good but he doesn't fit that mold but it may still work on offense....its defense I'm a little worried about.

I think its easy. Watch how his team played him in Latvia. He was dominant but not in an iso, featured type of way. It was tons of ball movement, pick and roll and then the rest sombre freelance. People spent the last 5 yrs of my life bitching about Melo, why user KP the same way. I wanna see shots going up from everywhere, breaks, speed on the perimeter and then yes, some defense.

And I don't even wanna use the phrase....build around him. I wanna build a communist basketball team with tons of talented players who all can get hot any night and us bee smart enough to identify who that player is at any point.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby dcapodic » August 24, 2017, 2:28 pm

http://nypost.com/2017/08/23/kristaps-porzingis-pursuit-of-18-year-old-model-isnt-going-well/

KP managing to take some time to do what young players also like to do besides play hoops....:)
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby cragganmor » August 24, 2017, 8:47 pm

i'd think a 6'8" combo forward with freakish length, multi-positional defense, rebounding, passing and a perimeter shot would be the ideal fit. basically a draymond-type of player.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » August 25, 2017, 1:57 am

cragganmor wrote:i'd think a 6'8" combo forward with freakish length, multi-positional defense, rebounding, passing and a perimeter shot would be the ideal fit. basically a draymond-type of player.

Nigel Hayes fits that on paper and has been on a very successful college program

If he can get to 245( weighed about 255 at the combine) and refine his jumper he may be exactly what this roster lacks
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » August 25, 2017, 3:20 pm

I think phil was searching for that type of player in ndour and inglis; while they haven't fulfilled that need, agree that nigel could be the one.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » August 26, 2017, 12:33 am

true Inglis is still there also...I'd give them all a chance to see how they blend with our core players.
Don Che

Postby Ingus » September 26, 2017, 4:51 am

Last edited by Ingus on November 12, 2017, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingus

Postby shakespeare » October 4, 2017, 4:10 pm

Porzingis explains why he doesn't want to play center https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3540843
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby spree#8 » October 4, 2017, 4:31 pm

shakespeare wrote:Porzingis explains why he doesn't want to play center https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3540843

Yeah, I read his explanation over on ESPN and thought: "if you don't want to spend your energy on defense banging with guys, you might not be cut out to lead the Knicks."

I mean, I don't care whether he plays the 4 or the 5, but you better be ready to bang on defense.
#knickstape
spree#8

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks