Melo willing to waive his 8 million dollar trade kicker

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Blazers will be part of trade talks only if they land Melo

Postby taowave » July 17, 2017, 9:14 am

I like Anthonys fit in Portland..He really needs to get out of here

According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Trail Blazers are hoping Carmelo Anthony will waive his no-trade clause and agree to come to Portland. The Blazers are reportedly not willing to be trade partners in a deal that would send Anthony to the Houston Rockets.

While it may be true that Portland is only willing to deal if Anthony is Portland-bound, this rumor could be giant smokescreen. It’s quite plausible that Portland’s front office is trying to get either Houston or New York to make the deal more worthwhile—Eric Griffith broke down all of the reasons that the originally rumored Ryan Anderson-to-Portland trade wouldn’t work for the Blazers.

Anthony is rumored to only be willing to waive his no-trade clause to move to either the Cavaliers or the Rockets. But all indications are Cleveland is currently unable to get a suitable package together and Houston needs to find someone willing to take on Anderson if they aren’t willing to move Trevor Ariza or Eric Gordon as part of the deal.

So while the chances are likely slim that Anthony wants to go to Portland, he may just want to finally get out of New York. But if you’re the Blazers, and somehow the chance chance to get Anthony without giving up Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum, or Jusuf Nurkic arises, you have to go for it.

A lot of fans are opposed to the idea of adding Melo to this roster, and I get it. They say he’s a chucker, that he’s a malcontent, that he doesn’t play defense. There’s some of that going on. But isn’t it possible that Anthony’s perceived bad attitude could be the result of playing on a terrible team in a terrible offensive system under a (former) terrible team president and a terrible owner?

It’s never okay for a player to mentally check out, but I can think of a Bosian center who had a bad attitude and stopped trying on defense when he thought he was being misused, but ended up working out pretty well for the Blazers.

Melo has shown that he can fit within a system—look how well he has played in multiple Olympics. I’m not talking about the actual results, because the level of competition is vastly different, but Anthony played a hyper-efficient team-based game. Even if he continues his isolation heavy ways, that actually fits in with Portland’s offensive system. The Blazers move the ball around a fair amount, but with the “read and react” mindset that Stotts instills in the team, the Blazers were 23rd in the league in assists per night.

Anthony would be a fantastic fit on the wings. Though he’s not a stellar 3-point shooter, Anthony is one of the better mid-range shooters in the game—connecting at a 46 percent clip from 16 feet to the 3-point line last season. Remember what coach Stotts did for LaMarcus Aldridge’s mid-range game? I would love to see what he could draw up for Anthony, who is still one of the best pure scorers in the NBA.

It’s true that Anthony isn’t a plus defender. He lacks lateral quickness and can get caught ball-watching. But a combination of the defensive-minded Al-Farouq Aminu and Melo both playing a hybrid 3-4 with Nurkic lurking behind them is an intriguing one. Depending on matchups, Stotts could elect to have Aminu guard the more offensively-skilled of the opposing team’s forwards. For context, according to basketball-reference.com, Anthony has spent 37 percent of his Knicks tenure playing power forward, while Aminu has logged almost exactly two-thirds of his Portland minutes at the four.

Portland would be taking a substantial risk as Melo can become a free agent next summer by exercising a player option. But even if Anthony left, the Blazers would still be shedding salary. It probably doesn’t give Portland cap flexibility to make major moves but those are still real cost savings that absolutely matter on the business side and could clear room to re-sign someone like Noah Vonleh.

In the short term, if the Blazers somehow landed Melo, they would be a heck of a lot closer to contention they are today. They might even be able to make a run at the Western Conference elite during their one season with Anthony.

Anthony would also inject Portland with a level of star-power not seen in a long time, maybe ever. Though they still probably wouldn’t have enough to beat the Warriors, the Blazers would be in contention for that next tier, alongside the Spurs and the Rockets. Besides, they still have to actually play the games. An injury here, a locker room issue there, and the window might just crack open a little bit. It’s risk/reward, to be sure, but I think it’s a gamble Olshey needs to make, should the opportunity present itself.

Even though it’s not likely to come to pass, as a fan, I would welcome Melo with open arms. He still has a lot of gas left in the tank and placing him with Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic in a Stotts-led offense would be lethal.
taowave

Postby taowave » July 17, 2017, 10:39 am

A case for Melo to Houston

The Rockets’ offseason strategy seems to built around the old “If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em” theory. Houston realizes it needs to build a super team of its own if it has any chance at dethroning the Warriors in the Western Conference.

After adding Chris Paul earlier in the offseason, the Rockets are just one superstar short of forming their very own super team and the front office is reportedly in hot pursuit of Carmelo Anthony in order to make that happen.

There are two reasons to be skeptical of a play for Anthony: The first being that it may not be wise to mortgage the future to go into win-now mode while Golden State still has its Curry-Durant-Thompson-Green core intact. The second being that the Rockets aren’t exactly hurting for offense. Houston ranked second in offensive efficiency last season, after all.

The second point was one recently made by former Rockets coach and current ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy.

Via the New York Post:

“I think they have a lot on their plate integrating Paul and [James] Harden,” Van Gundy said. “They’re not going to be better offensively than they were last year. They were the second-best team in the league offensively.

“Their improvement is going to have to be defensively. So I’m interested in the Carmelo thing. I don’t necessarily see it as a natural fit.

“He’s a very good player, yet they don’t need help offensively,” Van Gundy said. “They were a fabulous offensive team. I’m interested to see if it happens and who’s involved if it does happen. I don’t necessarily see the fit.”

This makes some sense … at least until you really start to think about what van Gundy is saying.

Yes, the Rockets need to get better defensively and Anthony isn’t exactly known for his defense, but to suggest that the Rockets cannot get better offensively simply because they ranked second last season is just illogical.

The 2016-17 Rockets did not perfect offensive basketball. There is clearly room for improvement. And one of the most obvious needs for the team heading into the offseason was to add more creative players — like Paul and Anthony — in order to take pressure off James Harden and lower his 34.2% usage rate. Harden carried the rockets offense on his back all season so it wasn’t all that surprising when he wore down against the Spurs in the playoffs.

And it shouldn’t be as hard to integrate Paul and Anthony into the offense as Van Gundy is making it out to be. The Rockets weren’t exactly running a free-flowing offense. When Harden was on the floor, Houston would hit defenses with a never-ending onslaught of pick-and-roll. The ball wasn’t coming out of his hands too often. In fact, only two teams passed the ball fewer times per game than the Rockets last season, per NBA.com.

We’re not talking about the Spurs or Warriors here. Throw Paul some of Harden’s pick-and-rolls and give Anthony some of those isolation plays, and the Rockets offense should keep rolling without a hitch as long as Mike D’Antoni figures out how to stagger his three stars’ minutes.

The addition of Paul and the possible addition of Anthony would give Houston a Plan B (and Plan C) for when Harden’s drive-and-kick game isn’t working or he just needs a breather. Paul, like Harden, can get anywhere on the floor, which will send defenses scrambling with two elite scorers out on the wings. And ‘Melo, like Harden, gives the Rockets a second player who can go get a bucket whenever he wants. Sometimes redundancy is a good thing.

As Van Gundy points out, Anthony is not a good defender, but he would be an improvement over Ryan Anderson, who struggles against even immobile forwards. Anthony will be just fine on that end of the court if they can hide him on stretch-4s of undersized power forwards. He’s proven to be an average pick-and-roll defender, even later in his career.

Harden, Paul and Anthony will not have to expel as much energy on the offensive end, which, in theory, should allow them to compete harder on the defensive end. Paul is an all-NBA defender and Harden and Anthony can hold up when engaged. Houston also added two good perimeter defenders in P.J. Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute, so the Rockets may not be the defensive disaster everyone just assumes they will be if Anthony joins the team.

Houston could, however, be one of the most potent offenses the NBA has ever seen, and that’s really the only shot it has at taking down the Warriors machine

PistolPete wrote:
Automatically makes them 2nd best team in the West in my opinion. Depends on their bench I suppose. But that's a team that on paper can out-shoot Golden State.
taowave

Postby Red » July 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

It's really not that complicated. Melo's cost relative to his skills are not in demand.

Someone will take him for his skills but not his cost which is what we said. He negotiated a ntc mostly to control his own future which is understood. However his contract amd kicker are the no trade reasons.

Sorry Melo you're just not wanted. Why? Because basically all you can do is shoot inconsistently. Who wants to guess what's best for an inconsistent expensive shooter?

Answer: Coming off the bench.

No one will take Melo he's not in demand. We won't win with him, likewise he's not in demand with us. That leaves only 1 solution (2 if you insist):

1. Bring him off the bench where he can be used effectively and minimize the damage he causes -or-

2. Get beat in trade scenarios

Option 3: Win with him ISN'T an option.

Now get on with it. Have your meeting and explain why he'll be coming off the bench. Or tell HIM to find HIS new landing spot for us.

But don't believe teams are willing to give up assets we want and don't fool yourself into thinking a team with him, KP and THJ can make noise. They can't.

This is where I was A YEAR AGO. smh
Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

Postby taowave » July 17, 2017, 2:23 pm

Red,who are you planning to replace Melo with while he rides the pine??

Are you now suggesting our GM du juor smoothes things over with Melo,brings him back and then benches him for Courtney Lee?? That should be fun..

Why is it 3 fairly decent squads want Melo,albeit by theft,yet Melo can't start for Team Tank??

I don't have any feelings for Melo one way or the other,but we can't keep on jerking the guy around. Uncle Phil and his butt buddy Rosen we're bad enough.Benching him would be to force him to opt out next year.

But if you pull that Trump card, you better be ready for the ensuing shit show,and that is not what Team Mills had in mind when they spoke of Culture Change.

Phil's gone, the circus has left town
taowave

Postby H20Knick » July 17, 2017, 2:35 pm

thank you tao. I kept seeing that post, getting really agitated, and closing the tab to resume productivity.

i almost exploded
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Donkic express!
H20Knick

Postby taowave » July 17, 2017, 2:40 pm

Lol,my pleasure..I was going to go postal until I realized the source.Im still not sure if Red is Charly Rosen..

Bench Melo,what's next, promote Rambis :?
taowave

Postby StevoStarks » July 17, 2017, 3:02 pm

taowave wrote:Red,who are you planning to replace Melo with while he rides the pine??

Are you now suggesting our GM du juor smoothes things over with Melo,brings him back and then benches him for Courtney Lee?? That should be fun..

Why is it 3 fairly decent squads want Melo,albeit by theft,yet Melo can't start for Team Tank??

I don't have any feelings for Melo one way or the other,but we can't keep on jerking the guy around. Uncle Phil and his butt buddy Rosen we're bad enough.Benching him would be to force him to opt out next year.

But if you pull that Trump card, you better be ready for the ensuing shit show,and that is not what Team Mills had in mind when they spoke of Culture Change.

Haha, was thinking the same thing.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Red » July 17, 2017, 3:25 pm

Who am I planning to replace Melo while he rides the pine?

Who cares?

This would make sense IF with him WE were competitive but as it stands your question makes no sense.

Here is your stance: smooth things over, replace with Lee, why can't he start... etc.

Here is mine: this isn't a democracy. Melo DOESN'T start because we don't want him to period. Why not? Fuck you (my response) you have no say so. And fuck the "fans" who care if he doesn't start. Why should we care at this point?

In favor of? This isn't about favor.
Fan reaction as if... We're not winning WITH Melo so your anticipation of fan reaction is illogical.

Why is it that 3 fairly decent squads want...

Let me stop you right there.
We bench Melo because our team is better. Better teams "want" Melo because they think they can use him.

The comparison of why we versus why they is completely irrelevant. We're benching him to improve they're acquiring him to improve. Obviously.

The comparison of our motives means nothing. The so called backlash means nothing.

We both know the point I'm making in terms of whats best for us is clear. We don't care what teams think is best for them.

Melo stays until we get a valid offer and he comes off the bench until further notice. Like I said a year ago.

taowave wrote:Red,who are you planning to replace Melo with while he rides the pine??

Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

Postby StevoStarks » July 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

You can write it over and over again, come at it from different angles, but there is no way that Melo comes off the bench. And that's taking into account that the front office nor Hornacek would ever broach that idea anyways.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Red » July 17, 2017, 4:19 pm

@tao: No problem. Need I remind you of the definition of insanity?

You keep insisting bringing him off the bench is some sort of punishment when all basketball minds know it's whats best for the franchise.

I've read many of your (historic) posts and I still can't figure out who your favorite team is.
Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

Postby StevoStarks » July 17, 2017, 4:32 pm

Red wrote:@tao: No problem. Need I remind you of the definition of insanity?

You keep insisting bringing him off the bench is some sort of punishment when all basketball minds know it's whats best for the franchise.

I've read many of your (historic) posts and I still can't figure out who your favorite team is.

Unfortunately what's best for the team will not triumph in this situation. Now you could actually justify an argument that it's better for the team to bring him off the bench. I'm sure some people would agree with you. But that's in a vacuum that isn't based in reality. It just won't happen. He makes too much money, has solidified himself as a superstar in this league and just because he's Melo he's bought himself the clout to not come of the bench of a rebuilding team.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » July 17, 2017, 6:07 pm

H20Knick wrote:thank you tao. I kept seeing that post, getting really agitated, and closing the tab to resume productivity.

i almost exploded

:clap:

You sure know how to capture an emotion
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby taowave » July 17, 2017, 6:58 pm

Red,let it go..Uncle Phil is cleaning Jeanne s pool and getting coffee for Magic.You are desparate bro.Its just you and Aunt Kurt..Cousin Charlie can't help you..

Melo is not coming off the bench.Kurt has a better chance of becoming GM..

I told you your Ideas would get Phil fired .Did you listen??

Now you want to keep Melo in the fold and bench him.For who?? Dotson?? Lee???

Red,Melo ain't Cazzie Russel..He's not coming off the bench for the tankers..He's good enough to start for Cleveland, Houston or Portland,but we should bench him

You know you don't get rewarded for having the most expensive bench in the NBA

Let it go..

Red wrote:@tao: No problem. Need I remind you of the definition of insanity?

taowave

Postby taowave » July 18, 2017, 5:29 am

Red, keep in mind that there is smart management and really dumb management..

Phil was great coach,absolutely horrible manager.As dumb as they come.

You are advocating to continue horrible managing...

Its pretty obvious Melo still has enough in the tank (no pun intended) to start for Championship level teams.

The goal of the organisation is to maximise return on Melo,not minimise it.Phil couldnt figure that out.

If you really want to move someone,you build them up,not tear them down.

What is the purpose of benching Melo other than forcing him to waive the NTC?

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reported this morning that Carmelo Anthony is still expecting the New York Knicks to complete a trade that will send him to the Houston Rockets to play alongside James Harden and Chris Paul. The remaking of New York’s front office has apparently not persuaded Melo to stick around and make another go of competing as a member of the Knicks.

This is only a thing worth reporting, though, because newly-promoted Knicks president Steve Mills and new general manager Scott Perry are apparently dissatisfied with the returns of proposed Melo-to-Houston trades, and are reportedly sniffing around the possibility of postponing any potential Melo trades for the time being. Can you imagine why?

As Perry starts to shape the front office and impact policy, another realization has washed over the organization: Months of organizational harping on Anthony, driven largely by deposed president of basketball operations Jackson, has dramatically lowered Anthony’s trade value. Mills and Perry are evaluating whether it’s worth allowing time for Anthony’s standing around the NBA to be rebuilt, as opposed to trading him at an all-time low, league sources said.
So, Phil Jackson’s years-long campaign of public grumbling about his best player—which achieved no conceivable organizational benefit, but seemed mostly to satisfy Jackson’s urge to separate the ongoing dysfunction of his basketball operation from his reputation as a brilliant basketball mind—had the unintended effect of driving down the player’s value, such that the very move the organization was hoping to make now has become unfavorable and unpalatable
? Truly, no one could ever have seen this coming.

But it gets even worse!

The Knicks realize the odds are long of convincing Anthony to simply forget trade talks and accept a return to New York, especially given how aggressively Jackson pushed to run Anthony out of town.
Phil Jackson, basketball genius.
taowave

Postby Don Che » July 18, 2017, 5:36 am

Let's just pray Melo is willing to go to the blazers.

I'd argue they would be just as good as Houston would be actually.

Millard/CJ/Aminu/Melo/Nurkic actually more balanced of a unit than Houston and more upside.

Warriors would struggle guarding that frontline
Don Che

Postby Red » July 18, 2017, 6:54 am

StevoStarks wrote:Unfortunately what's best for the team will not triumph in this situation. Now you could actually justify an argument that it's better for the team to bring him off the bench. I'm sure some people would agree with you. But that's in a vacuum that isn't based in reality. It just won't happen. He makes too much money, has solidified himself as a superstar in this league and just because he's Melo he's bought himself the clout to not come of the bench of a rebuilding team.

:clap: ^^^ this is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks.
Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

Postby Red » July 18, 2017, 6:55 am

“I think we’ll be a good, developing team if Carmelo is part of the team,” Mills said. “We’ll be a good, developing team if he isn’t.”

Melo = non factor
Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 18, 2017, 7:35 am

Melo becomes a factor if we can get something out of his trade. That should happen when contenders realize mid-season they aren't quite at the warriors' level and they need an additional reliable scoring option, but he has to be on display with us though, as a starter. Getting interesting pieces for him would accelerate the rebuild we started.

Plus, another way to interpret what Mills said is that Melo's presence does not prevent rebuilding. I even think he can have a very good influence on young players, but that'll take some diplomacy to make him accept an increased mentoring role.

Let him stay, hopefully play great basketball for half a season and bring us 1st round picks + young talents
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby Red » July 18, 2017, 9:03 am

^^^^^Ok so we're back at this...

Melo gets minutes = Melo's trade value increases (is your hypothesis)

Championship caliber teams want him to start = tao's hypothesis

1. Melo got minutes but because he's garbage on D, NO ONE EVEN INQUIRED.

2. Melo negotiated a max contract (not to blame him) and trade kicker + Point 1 (above) = NO CONTENDER INQUIRED W an offer mutually beneficial. His costs outweigh his skills.

Math.

What is the purpose of benching Melo other than forcing him to waive the NTC?

It's called a power struggle. We are NOT starting Melo because he can't play defense and we're about defense first and foremost.

Now is Melo bigger than the team? No. So should we worry about THE TEAM or appeasing Melo?

If relative to his cost HE HAD NO VALUE why on earth would you believe you can now INCREASE HIS VALUE?

THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN.... there is no market!!!!! Put your derivative hat on (Tao) and derive we have an empty asset. Until we get a true beneficial offer (that's me NOT making the same mistakes) he will not sabotage our efforts.

Stop letting this scrub dictate what WE do! Move on with our new philosophy and act accordingly. You get minimal burn when you don't hustle on D. Period.

The definition of insanity...
Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

Postby Red » July 18, 2017, 9:11 am

To think we should give a fuck about what some washed up, one dimensional, shot happy scrub with an inflated ego thinks above what's best for our team isn't a new direction. You want change? It starts here. Bring Carmelo Anthony off the bench because it is the best thing that can happen for the franchise short of some far fetched offer.
Thanks Phil.
#notanku
Red

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks