Melo willing to waive his 8 million dollar trade kicker

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Knicks pause on trade talks for Melo

Postby spree#8 » July 15, 2017, 5:29 am

spree#8

I don't think it is most likely that Melo will be staying. Trades usually happen later in the offseason, so I have no idea how you come to this conclusion. The Knicks just didn't want to pull the trigger on a deal they don't like 100% and most importantly - not without consulting with the new GM first. But I don't think that the Knicks and Melo will come to the conclusion that Melo staying on is the best course of business for both sides.

gradyandrew wrote:
I'm reposting this here, because I think it's a good point.

It seems like the Knicks and Melo will now be locked into a totally unnecessary staring contest. The Knicks want Melo to expand his list of trade destinations because Cleveland and Houston don't have anything the Knicks want. I think those Anderson to the Pelicans rumors were probably true, with some NO players heading to New York. The problem being outside of the N.O. big 3, there aren't any players for NY to get excited about or cap relief. Melo's optimum outcome is the Knicks buy him out for the remaining two years of his contract so he can sign wherever he wants and the Knicks wish is for him to waive his NTC and trade kicker. I don't really see an easy compromise.

Hopefully the big 3 of Mills, Hornacek, and Perry can meet with Melo and at least make things amicable but fundamentally management and Melo are opposed. I keep going back to Utah and Milwaukee as the only two teams who have the expiring contracts to make the trade work and two teams that have traditionally struggled signing teams in free agency. For them the Melo trade makes sense and they are probably hoping Melo opts in for the second year. So they might work for the Knicks but I imagine Melo wants to win and/ or play in a bigger market.

And thats before we even get to the difficult mechanics of making a trade work. The main difference between the player option and an early termination option is that with an ETO the final year of the contract is included for purposes of calculating the trade kicker. So with 54 million left and a 15% trade kicker, were talking a little more than 8 million that gets added onto this year's salary of 26 million which would put Melo right at 34 million, the max allowed for a player with his experience. Because of the size of his contract, both taxpaying and nontaxpaying teams would have to send out at least 27 million in salaries to make it work, not exactly an easy number to hit.

I don't think any contender (CLE,HOU, SAN) can give up that much salary so that a trade for Melo makes them better and that Melo will want to waive his trade kicker or accept a trade to a second tier city or competitor. But TBH, it's not really a problem with me. I hope we can still make it out of the wilderness and have Melo retire as a Knick. I refuse to believe that whatever problems the Knicks have are Melo's fault. He always seems to have tried his best.

The trade kicker won't be a big problem. Even teams above the luxury tax can take back 125% of the salary they send out, so taking 130% of Melo's base contract in means just that the salaries nearly have to match Melo's base salary. But Melo can waive part or all of his trade kicker to make a deal work, so if he for example wants to go to Houston he will likely do that, because he would go where he wants to and still earn more money - if he doesn't waive the complete kicker - than here. The hold-up from our point of view probably is Houston having Anderson in every proposal, who will bring the value of the package down for us. But Houston and Cleveland have enough high salary players they can throw in (Gordon, Ariza plus fillers/ two of Thompson, Frye, Shumpert, J.R. Smith plus fillers if needed) without touching their stars, so a deal can be made if a third or fourth team is included that wants some of those vets and is willing to give up youth/picks. Finding those other teams is the trickier part in comparison to the salaries going out from CLE/HOU.

To me the likeliest scenario is that the Rockets or Cavs will put the best offer they are willing to make now on the table once negotiations open up again and we will either get a deal done or pause a little longer. One example: the Wiggins/Love trade took two months to materialize.

I don't think Melo going to teams like the Bucks or Utah has any opportunity to come up. IMO it is a flat out contender vs. staying. If we don't find a deal where everyone wins, I also have no problem keeping Melo.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » July 15, 2017, 8:04 am

Came across this,and like everything else in Knick land,it makes zero sense..

Hopefully,we have hit bottom

According to a source, Anthony went to the Knicks prior to the NBA Draft and requested a buyout. With that request denied, Phil Jackson said they would try to accommodate a trade.
taowave

Postby Don Che » July 15, 2017, 9:36 am

what doesnt make sense tho?

I can see why Melo would ask for a buyout and I can easily see why Phil would say no and try to find a trade
Don Che

Postby taowave » July 15, 2017, 11:07 am

Doesn't make sense that Phil was fired for trying to accommodate Melo.
taowave

Postby Don Che » July 15, 2017, 12:42 pm

Phil was fired for HOW he was doing his job and alienating and even discussing in trading KP.

What Phil wanted to do for Melo wasnt the reason he was fired.

If Phil kept his mouth shut and lived like a normal 70 year old and not have a twitter account and support the Knicks and KP verbally but be a savage behind closed doors he'd still have a job.
Don Che

Postby taowave » July 15, 2017, 1:39 pm

I got the impression he gave Dolan an ultimatum and he came up with the short straw.

And if you are right,which I agree with 100%,why in the world was Phil still there come the draft??

Phil drafts Frank and is then fired,Mills overpays for Tim and then hires a new GM...

Seems like the Knicks like to put the cart before the horse

Don Che wrote:Phil was fired for HOW he was doing his job and alienating and even discussing in trading KP.

What Phil wanted to do for Melo wasnt the reason he was fired.

If Phil kept his mouth shut and lived like a normal 70 year old and not have a twitter account and support the Knicks and KP verbally but be a savage behind closed doors he'd still have a job.
taowave

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 15, 2017, 8:42 pm

Carmelo Anthony still expects the Knicks to resume trade talks with the Rockets, sources told @wojespn. es.pn/2uvW8OS
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 15, 2017, 8:49 pm

A 3rd team who wants Melo has emerged as #Blazers "will only facilitate trade if they land him" per report. "They want him, not competition" https://t.co/dUHOEaxWG3
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Re: Blazers will be part of trade talks only if they land Melo

Postby noypi » July 15, 2017, 10:46 pm

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:A 3rd team who wants Melo has emerged as #Blazers "will only facilitate trade if they land him" per report. "They want him, not competition" https://t.co/dUHOEaxWG3

Melo is a better fit in Portland. Melo, Dame CJ, Nurk and a deep bench with Aminu, Turner, Vonleh, Crabbe, Harkless, Leonard and rookies Swanigan and Z. Collins. Perry must convince Melo that a Blazers and Knicks swap is much beneficial since he would still be with a deep bench despite Harkless, Aminu, Vonleh to the Knicks and Leonard to 3rd team hopefully.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby Mr3037 » July 16, 2017, 1:19 am

If our new GM is smart this actually works in our favour
Houston know they will be automatic contenders with Melo & the onus is on them to find a deal that gets us ehat we want - Young players &/or picks. If Melo stays then thats just more time he can mentor KP.
IF Melo decides to consider Portland then they have the you players etc that would facilitate our needs.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

23 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby taowave » July 16, 2017, 10:56 am

Houston and Morey can do all the backflips they want to get the deal done,but it's Team Mills calling the shots..

Would you take Ariza/Gordon and filler??

Houston doesn't have the goods to get this deal done.Portland might,and it's on Melo to decide if he wants to rebuild for one more year ,opt out and go wherever he chooses (possibly at a very reduced salary),or head to Portland and get into the playoffs.

Melo s the only one who can make this decision.

He needs to be more reasonable..or not,but expecting the Knicks to accommodate him to their detriment is a pipe dream..
taowave

Postby taowave » July 16, 2017, 3:43 pm

On the bright side,at least our GM du jour isn't willing to hand over Melo for trash,unlike the buffoon before him..

And why is Rambis still here

With Perry's hiring from Sacramento and the promotion of Mills to president, the Knicks have paused those trade discussions, in part because New York has been unhappy with the recent proposed returns on an Anthony deal, league sources said.

As Perry starts to shape the front office and impact policy, another realization has washed over the organization: Months of organizational harping on Anthony, driven largely by deposed president of basketball operations Jackson, has dramatically lowered Anthony's trade value.
taowave

Postby StevoStarks » July 16, 2017, 4:59 pm

taowave wrote:Houston and Morey can do all the backflips they want to get the deal done,but it's Team Mills calling the shots..

Would you take Ariza/Gordon and filler??

Houston doesn't have the goods to get this deal done.Portland might,and it's on Melo to decide if he wants to rebuild for one more year ,opt out and go wherever he chooses (possibly at a very reduced salary),or head to Portland and get into the playoffs.

Melo s the only one who can make this decision.

He needs to be more reasonable..or not,but expecting the Knicks to accommodate him to their detriment is a pipe dream..

100% yes to Ariza (expiring), Gordon (good contract) and filler that doesn't include Anderson.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby maxinquaye11 » July 16, 2017, 6:58 pm

What the knicks should do is engage OKC in a trade to get Melo. There is no other team more motivated than the Thunder to beat GSW because of Durant. Another factor would be to win the championship now in order to increase the chances of PG staying. Melo should be ok with this knowing that PG and Westbrook is the best duo in the NBA today.

Lebron as well should follow. Its all in to get westbrook a ring, get revenge against KD and foil the dynasty established by GSW.

Who can we get from OKC in exchange for Melo?
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed

" WE GOT JUSTIN HOLIDAY! " - maxinquaye11 on Derrick Rose trade day
maxinquaye11

Postby taowave » July 16, 2017, 7:20 pm

Am I the only one not impressed with a big 3 of Melo,Paul and Harden??
taowave

Postby Mr3037 » July 16, 2017, 7:48 pm

taowave wrote:Am I the only one not impressed with a big 3 of Melo,Paul and Harden??

Not our problem tao but I do wonder if it will really work.

Any deal NOT involving Anderson sounds good to me.

Can we just hurry up and:

- Fire Rambis
- Trade Melo
- Sign/acquire through trade a VET PG to mentor Frank
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

23 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby PistolPete » July 16, 2017, 8:19 pm

taowave wrote:Am I the only one not impressed with a big 3 of Melo,Paul and Harden??

Automatically makes them 2nd best team in the West in my opinion. Depends on their bench I suppose. But that's a team that on paper can out-shoot Golden State.
PistolPete

Postby taowave » July 16, 2017, 8:53 pm

Just found this..

While the idea of having a possible Big Three of James Harden, Paul, and Anthony is salivating to most, former Knicks and Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy isn’t joining the bandwagon.

“So I’m interested in the Carmelo thing. I don’t necessarily see it as a natural fit. He’s a very good player, yet they don’t need help offensively.” Van Gundy said in an interview with the New York Post’s Marc Berman. “They were a fabulous offensive team. I’m interested to see if it happens and who’s involved if it does happen. I don’t necessarily see the fit.”
Van Gundy’s assessment holds some valid truth, but the creative mind of Mike D’Antoni should also be taken into consideration, especially after proving to everyone that he can make James Harden an effective point guard.

The Rockets are now bolstered by two of the best, and most willing, passers in the league in Harden and Paul, making a potential Anthony addition logical given his aggressive approach to light up the scoreboard
taowave

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » July 16, 2017, 11:27 pm

Well you remember D'Antoni's philosophy? If they score on you, then try to put score them
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby NewlyKnicked » July 17, 2017, 8:16 am

luc mbah a moute joining the rockets probably is the end of the Melo's texan dream
NewlyKnicked

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks